My last project was inspired by pomegranate seeds. I wanted to make multiples for an installation piece. I made 2 sided seeds that were printed, dyed, sewn, stuffed, and ready to hang. The process was long and I learned a lot! Here's how they are made. I will post photos of the actual installation next.
this is how the seeds start. I cut muslin rectangles the size of a silk screen and then I screen printed each sheet with the darker red ink. After they dried overnight, I mixed up some dye and hand dyed each sheet. I threw them right in the dryer and now my dryer is pink!
here are piles of seeds that are being paired together and about to be trimmed nicely.
here is a shot of my work table. on the bottom are the seeds that have been sewn around, then above are lots of stuffed seeds ready for their bottoms to be sewn shut!
I stuffed each one with fallen leaves collected from my neighborhood streets, rice for weight, and scrap fabric from cutting out the seeds.
a bag full of seeds ready to take to the gallery for installation!